Sixteenth century land survey

A team of Kent Archaeological Society volunteers has transcribed and published on-line a rare sixteenth century land survey which details a substantial 6,000 acre estate which spanned the county.

The Wotton family’s estate comprised 67 manors in more than 30 parishes – one the largest estates in Tudor Kent. The entire estate was surveyed between 1557 and 1560 and details recorded include who occupied the land and how it was used.  It was written in English on 338 folios of vellum and until now could only be consulted in the original manuscript form at the British Library.

The transcription – which can be downloaded from the Society’s website www.kentarchaeology.acwill be an invaluable resource to homeowners and historians researching early houses in Kent.